Challenges Facing Children with Visual Impairment in Accessing Inclusive Primary Education: A Case of Uhuru Mchanganyiko Primary School, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Wilson, Leticia (2016) Challenges Facing Children with Visual Impairment in Accessing Inclusive Primary Education: A Case of Uhuru Mchanganyiko Primary School, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Masters thesis, The Open University of Tanzania.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Submitted Version
Download (1MB) | Preview

Abstract

This study was intended to assess the challenges facings children with visual impairment in accessing inclusive primary education. The study was to identify if the physical infrastructure at UhuruMchanganyiko Primary School, Ilala Municipality, Dar es Salaam region are friendly visually impairedstudents. Furthermore, the study investigated the social-economic and cultural profile (labeling, perception, and behaviour) of the student with visual impairment at the study area.The study adopted the descriptive design in order to described the characteristics of a particular individual, or of a group, and determine different groups of population that could give information on challenges facing children with visual impairment.The study has revealed that58%of students were not familiar of the physical infrastructure followed by 42% of the respondents are familiar with the physical infrastructure at UhuruMchanganyiko and only 26% of visuallyimpaired students can use studying machines at the same time.In addition, 74% of the students socialize with other students, 72% of the students socialize at school, mostly with their fellow visually impaired students. The remaining percentage (28%)do not socialize because of their negative attitudes, as they feel neglected, not fit with other, and stigmatization.The study concluded that, the situation shows that there are limited or lacking of special treatments in terms of special supportive facilities to the disabled students in facilitating them to acquire education which is easily obtained by students who are not disabled. Furthermore, appropriate use of studying machines or in Braille is necessary to help student with visual disability to acquire primary education.The Social Welfare Department should increase budget to education needs for persons with disability such as literacy programmes and special education.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Subjects: 300 Social Sciences > 360 Social services; association
Divisions: Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences > Department of Sociology and social work
Depositing User: Mr Habibu V. Kazimzuri
Date Deposited: 16 Feb 2017 09:54
Last Modified: 23 May 2017 11:24
URI: http://repository.out.ac.tz/id/eprint/1554

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item