The effects of the use of Punishments as School management Tool on Secondary School Students Behaviours.

Ng’owo, Augustino (2013) The effects of the use of Punishments as School management Tool on Secondary School Students Behaviours. Masters thesis, The Open University of Tanzania.

[img]
Preview
PDF
Download (820kB) | Preview

Abstract

This study probed into the effects of the use of school punishments as management tool on secondary school students’ behaviours. The study examined the types of punishments used in secondary schools, types of misbehaviours as well as types of punishments given against misbehaviours. The study also examined the presumed effects of punishments and the alternatives to physical punishments. The study found that 55.9% of respondents said that removal or not of physical punishment would increase misbehaviours. This is contrary to 44.1% of the respondents who said that removing physical punishments in secondary schools will lead to a decrease of misbehaviours in secondary schools. Furthermore, the study found that many respondents do not support the idea of continued use of physical punishments in schools. This was indicated by 62.7% of the respondents who said that physical punishments should not continue being used in secondary schools while, the remaining 37.3% said it should continue. A survey design and qualitative approach with support of some elements of quantitative approach were used to collect data. The study was conducted in six secondary schools in Mafinga Township in Mufindi district with a total of 310 respondents. The respondents were sampled through purposive sampling. Data were collected using rating scales and interviews. Qualitative data were analyzed by using descriptive analysis and quantitative data were analyzed through SPSS 16.0 version. The findings of the current study have indicated that the use of physical punishments is not in favour of many respondents, that is teachers and students. Therefore, the study recommends introducing and using alternatives to physical punishments so as to help students build self discipline in secondary schools.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Subjects: 300 Social Sciences > 370 Education
Divisions: Faculty of Education > Department of Policy Planning and Administration
Depositing User: Mr Habibu V. Kazimzuri
Date Deposited: 27 Apr 2016 09:43
Last Modified: 27 Apr 2016 09:43
URI: http://repository.out.ac.tz/id/eprint/1065

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item