A study of the Relationship between Managers’ Leadership Style and Employees’ Job Satisfaction: The Case of Prime Minister’s Office in Tanzania

Meku , Severin J. (2013) A study of the Relationship between Managers’ Leadership Style and Employees’ Job Satisfaction: The Case of Prime Minister’s Office in Tanzania. Masters thesis, The Open University of Tanzania.

[thumbnail of SEVERIN._MEKU_DISSERTATION-Final_Thom_OUT.docx] Microsoft Word
Download (731kB)


The objective of the study was to establish whether there is a relationship between leadership style and employees job satisfaction in a typical public sector organisation particularly the Prime Minister’s Office. A questionnaire was administered to a sample of 150 employees selected by a combination of stratified sampling and systematic random sampling techniques. A total of 125 questionnaires were returned (response rate of 83%). The binary logistic regression technique was used to examine the likelihood of an employee to be satisfied with his/her job against his/her perception about the management style in place. Other variables such as age, sex, work experience, marital status, and job position were used as control variables. Findings from the study showed that majority of the staff at the PMO (51%) feel satisfied with their job. This means on the other hand that about 49% of employees were not satisfied with their job. The interviewed employees felt that their efforts are seldom recognized, they are paid fairly and that there are higher prospects for promotion and career development, thus adding some satisfaction in their job. The perceived most utilized styles of leadership were participative than directive leadership styles. Majority of staff under participative leadership styles were dissatisfied with their job. The results of a fitted binary logistic regression model shows that job position and gender were the strong predictors of job satisfaction whereas other variables namely level of education of an employee, marital status, work experience, predominant leadership style used by employees immediate boss and age were not strong predictors of job satisfaction. Being male and being senior officer was associated with a higher likelihood of being satisfied with job (p < 0.05). It was recommended, basing on the findings, that the management and leadership at PMO should tackle the sources of job dissatisfaction by providing on-going leadership trainings to leaders and conduct regular staff retreat meeting. This training should go hand in hand with awareness creation about staff regulations and operationalisation of open system of staff performance appraisal. The involvement of statutory bodies such as Workers Council and Trade Unions in these endeavours is crucial.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Subjects: 600 Technology > 658 Gerneral management
Divisions: Faculty of Business Management > Department of Leadership and Governance
Depositing User: Mr Habibu Kazimzuri
Date Deposited: 14 Jan 2016 12:11
Last Modified: 14 Jan 2016 12:11
URI: http://repository.out.ac.tz/id/eprint/733

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item